Monday, August 1, 2011

Easy Apple Dump Cake

My husband didn't like the idea of a dessert with the word "dump" in it.  (Laughing out loud.)  But he sure didn't stop or complain as he finished off a large piece of this apple "dump" cake I made. 

This is soooo easy and quite an indulgence too.  I would suggest making this for a party or gathering where you can share the calories.  Don't eat this all yourself in one sitting.  It's simple but it's rich.  I don't normally use this much butter in my dessert but I figured 'what the hell'?  I am sure Paula Deen would be proud of me for this one!






Here's what mine looked like when it was half-way gone!



Easy Apple Dump Cake

(Serves 8)

1 box of yellow (or white) cake mix
1 and 1/2 sticks of butter (I used smart balance), melted
2 cans of apple pie filling (Look for the kind with no high fructose corn syrup or other junk in it!)
1 Tbsp cinnamon
1/3 cup of brown sugar (or other sugar alternative)




Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Spray a round cake pan generously with cooking spray.  (I actually used a spring foam pan.)   Place your apple pie filling at the bottom of the pan.  Spread as evenly as you can.  Note: If you only have 1 can of pie filling, then just add about 3 sliced and cored apples on top of the pie filling.   Sprinkle the cinnamon and brown sugar over the apples.   Top with the cake mix (do not add eggs or oil) carefully trying to cover as much of the apples as possible.  Melt the butter in a microwave safe bowl.  Then pour the butter evenly over the cake and apple mixture.  Bake in the oven for 45 to 50 minutes. 

Remove from heat and let the cake cool.  It melts in your mouth and your family and friends who sample a slice will think it's the best thing ever! 

Note: If you're not a fan of apples, then you could use any other pie fililng or fruit of your choice for this!   I made this for my boss' birthday recently and he's a fan of apples.  So that's why I went with this.

Enjoy!  Let me know if you try it or vary it up for your own personal taste buds.

No comments:

Post a Comment