Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Bacon, Spinach and Parmesan Pasta (Ugly Foods That Taste Fabulous Example # 3)

Welcome back to Ugly Foods that Taste Fabulous Week! 

We are now half-way through the week, Woo-Hoo!




When I put this meal on the plate and placed it in front of my husband, he asked not so politely, "What the heck is that?"  Hahaha! 

"Just try it," I said.  "I know it looks ugly but I really think you're going to enjoy it." 

He made a face and was very skeptical but he did take a bite.  And another bite and another bite.  He licked his plate clean.  Even though the plate looked like this:




I think this pasta looks like someone sneezed and barfed all over spaghetti noodles.  What do you think?  It seems to be a perfect combination of both green and beefy chunks!  LOL~!   (Can you tell that I enjoy grossing people out?  Not much bothers me.  I have a thick stomach when it comes to most foods!) 

Well have your chunks and eat them too because this is seriously delicious.  Just close your eyes and taste it for yourself.   If need be, make a little fun game out of this with your family and kids.  See who can gross each other out the most with details and descriptive words for each bite you take!  :-)

Come on, I dare you to try it.  Then after that I dare you not to love it!


Bacon, Spinach and Parmesan Pasta
(Serves 6)

Adapted and lightened up from Recipe Shoebox


7 to 8 oz. pasta (I used whole wheat spaghetti since I had that on hand)
3 oz bag of real bacon bits (Or about four slices of turkey bacon, cooked and broken into bits)

1 cup of chopped or pureed spinach
1 cup reduced fat milk (can use evaporated kind)
1/4 cup (2-ounces) cream cheese
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 egg

salt and pepper to taste
extra shredded mozzarella cheese for topping, optional


Cook the pasta according to package directions, with a pinch of salt until done.  Meanwhile in a large skillet, place milk and cream cheese.  Heat over low until cream cheese is melted, and whisk until smooth.  Add the chopped spinach, bacon bits, Parmesan cheese, egg, salt and pepper.  Stir until blended.  Cook for about ten minutes.

Drain pasta and add it to the skillet.  Toss and coat it around with the sauce.   Add in additional milk or water if needed to thin the sauce or a touch of cornstarch if you need to thicken it.

Serve and watch the family's faces as they go to bite into it!  :-)  Even my three year old picky daughter ate this meal!~


Freeze or refridgerate any leftovers.  Reheat in microwave with a touch of milk or water if needed.






I even tried to put other foods next to the main dish to see if it made it look prettier.  I served it with seasoned green beans and homemade garlic bread.  Nope, it's still ugly!


Tomorrow and Friday I will share your ugly photos and recipe submissions to finish off the week.  Thanks for sending them in and come back to see more! 

3 comments:

  1. ok, yeah, that looks gross!! basically like barf :P i'll believe you that it tastes good though!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. now doesn't that look delicious--not! at least it didn't go to waste, anne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! I'm glad it at least tasted good! :)

    ReplyDelete