Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Feta and Herb Bean Dip (packed with protein!)

I love beans!  I also love all the movies that make fun of "beans."  Insert the neverending fart scene from the Mel Brooks' classic Blazing Saddles.  Or if that movie is too old for you, then think of There's Something About Mary when Mary's brother repeats the line "Franks and beans!  Franks and beans!" after Ted (played by Ben Stiller) finds himself caught in a delicate situation with the zipper on his pants!  Ouch!  Well I promise you that this wonderful bean dip won't give you digestive problems (I don't think so anyway) and it won't hurt you either.  In fact, you will barely notice the beans in it because it's packed with so much flavor!


Several of my friends don't like beans.  I think they're crazy but I am confident that even they would like this dip.  My husband didn't even know there were beans in it.  He thought it had mayonaisse or sour cream instead.  With the feta cheese and beans inside, you've got tons of protein happening here!






Protein Packed Feta and Herb Bean Dip

(Serves 6 to 8 or makes about 2 cups)

1 can (15 oz) of Great Northern (white) beans, drained and rinsed
3/4 cup (6 oz) of non-fat Greek plain yogurt
3/4 cup of feta cheese, crumbled
1 tbsp of lemon (or lime) juice
1/2 tbsp of garlic salt (or combo of salt and garlic powder)
1 tsp of Italian seasoning
1/2 tsp of ground dill weed
1/2 tsp ground rosemary
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp crushed parsley flakes


Place the drained and rinsed beans into a food processor.  Spoon in the Greek yogurt, crumbled feta cheese,  lemon (or lime) juice and garlic salt.  Puree until smooth.  Toss in the remaining herbs and seasonings.  Puree until the herbs are blended into the dip. 


You may want to consider adding less amounts of each herb and tasting as you go along to ensure the right flavor for you and your family.  This dip is loaded with flavor but that's how we liked it! 







I served this with the balsamic chicken wraps recipe I posted yesterday.  We dipped sweet potato fries in them the first night followed by crackers and regular baked potato chips in them the second night!  Good stuff!





I would like to start adding more dips to our weekly family meals.  With one like this, I don't have to feel guilty since it's loaded with good protein and herbs.  Dips aren't just party foods.  Add them to your dinner table.  The kids love to dip things after all.  Now if only I could get my little girl to dip carrots or broccoli into them! 

1 comment:

  1. Looks great! I'm one of the friends who doesn't like beans, but I would give this a try!

    ReplyDelete