Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Cauliflower Fritters

We ate this tasty caulflower side dish with our Garlic-Tequilia-Lime Shrimp over the weekend.  Tasty and caulflower??  You might be asking yourself why those words are in the same sentence.  Believe me, it's hard to imagine, I know.  But yes, it's true.  Cauliflower can be yummy, especially if you cook it like this recipe below.


My husband's friend came over and joined us for dinner that included these veggie fritters.  After he took one bite, he said, "I think this is my favorite way to eat cauliflower."  I couldn't agree with him more!  See if you and your family agrees with us too! 




Cauliflower Fritters

(Makes 10 - 12 patties)

1 head of cauliflower, steamed and chopped finely (about 3 and 1/2 cups)
1 cup of whole wheat flour
2 eggs
2 cups of reduced fat cheese of your choice (I used monterey-cheddar blend)
1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese
1/3 cup of warm water
1 tsp garlic salt
dash of Cajun seasoning
cooking spray or oil


Steam your cauliflower for about ten to twelve minutes on the stove.  Remove from heat and let it cool before chopping into fine pieces.  In a large mixing bowl, combine the chopped cauliflower, whole wheat flour, eggs, cheeses, water, garlic salt and seasonings.  Stir well with spoon or your hands.  Form mixture into small patties, about 3 inches wide.  I made 12 patties with mine.  Set aside.


Heat a large skillet on the stove at medium high.  Spray cooking oil or use about 1/4 cup of olive oil for the bottom of the pan.   When the pan is hot, place your cauliflower patties in skillet.  Cook on one side for 7 to 10 minutes.  Flip over and cook the other side for 5 to 7 minutes.  (Note: I cooked four patties at a time in my skillet). 


Transfer cooked patties to a serving dish.  Sprinkle with a teaspoon of shredded and/or Parmesan cheese for garnish.  Enjoy!


You can freeze any leftovers for up to three months.  Remove from freezer and simply reheat in the microwave.


Do you have any great summertime vegetable recipes?  I am looking for other new, easy and delicious ways to get my family to eat more veggies!

2 comments:

  1. What a creative way to get veggies in the family! Last week I pureed some frozen garlic cauliflower and mashed it with potatoes. Of course, hubby picked over it and took a few bites, but the kids scarfed it down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing earth shattering, but we like to slice zucchini or yellow squash, sprinkle w/ montreal steak seasoning and grill, baby, grill!!! nothing really hidden, but it tastes pretty good :)

    ReplyDelete