Thursday, June 23, 2011

Slow Cooker Banana Bread Pudding

I was skeptical at how a bread pudding would turn out using my slow cooker but then I thought, what the hell.... I could have dessert ready in a matter of hours and focus my attention on other things, like baking bread, watching a movie with my daughter and more.  So I gave this recipe a try over the Father's Day weekend and I'm so glad I did.  My family and my co-workers really enjoyed it.



Slow Cooker Banana Bread Pudding

(Makes a lot!  About 18-20 servings)

8 to 10 slices of bread, cut into small pieces (I used our favorite homemade sandwich bread)
4 extra large eggs, beaten
2 cups of milk (I used 2%)
1/2 cup sugar
4 Tbsp (half stick) of butter, melted
2 tsp vanilla extract
2/3 cup of raisins (optional)
2 ripe bananas, mashed
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg


For the sauce:

1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp almond extract
2 Tbsp flour
1 cup of water
2 Tbsp butter

Spray your slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray.  Cut up your sliced of bread.  I used my yogurt wheat sandwich bread.  Place the bread pieces in the slow coooker.  In a mixing bowl, mash the bananas. Then add in the eggs, milk, sugar butter and vanilla extract.  Mix well.  Pour over the pieces of bread.  Cook the mixture on high for one hour.  Then switch heat to low and cook for another 2-3 hours.  Check it half-way through for moistness.  Make sure it doesn't dry out the bread or start to stick. 

Just before serving, place the sauce ingredients together in a pan over the stove.  Bring to a boil and heat on medium high.  Stir well.  Serve the sauce over the warm bread. 





Dig in! Good stuff!  This freezes well too.  I personally tested it out and the bread was still moist and fresh.  You may just want to add a bit more sauce to it though.  Yummy! 
Do you have any good desserts that you make in your slow cooker?  I haven't really tried making sweets in mine before but now I want to make more! 

2 comments:

  1. You are such a talent! I wish I had some of that right now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM!! Did you make this up by yourself? I'm in awe :) Haven't tried too many desserts in there - I think a fruit compote once and baked oatmeal (not really dessert). The compote was excellent - should give me incentive to try more!

    ReplyDelete