Tuesday, November 16, 2010

My "Mix-it-up Meat and Veggie Chili" Recipe

I've been testing out my new slow cooker these days.  I love soups, stews and chilis in the fall and winter months. 

This morning I had several of my cookbooks open to various chili recipes. Then I decided "The heck with that~!"  I can throw my own chili together using what I know and think should go in there. 

Most chilis don't have a lot veggies in them, besides beans that is.  I wanted to change that and include the carrots and spinach I pureed recently.  I threw in some turkey sausage and meat I had on hand as well. 

The end result turned out great - definitely worth sharing here!  I hope you enjoy it. 


beefandveggiechili.jpg


Mix-it-up Meat and Veggie Chili
(Serves 10 to 12)

1 pound of ground turkey, uncooked and crumbled
1 and 1/2 links of turkey sausage (about 10 oz), chopped up into small pieces
2 cans of light red kidney beans, with juices
1 can (15 oz) Italian diced tomatoes, with juice
1 can (15 oz) regular petite diced tomatoes, with juice
1 can (15 oz) all natural tomato sauce
1 small can of diced tomatoes with chilis (such as Rotel), with juice
1 cup of pureed (or chopped) spinach
1 cup of pureed (or shredded) carrots
1 large onion, diced finely
1 large bell pepper, diced
2 tbsp of cooking white (or red) wine
1 tbsp garlic powder (or use about five cloves of fresh garlic, minced)
1 tsp chili powder (add more if you like it spicy)
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp basil
1 tsp of Cajun seasoning blend
1 tsp of salt

Grab your slow cooker (at least 5 quarts) and put it on the low setting.  Place your defrosted, uncooked ground turkey at the bottom of the slow cooker.  Chop your turkey sausage into small pieces, about the size of the beans.  Add the sausage to slow cooker.   Next, place your beans, tomatoes, spinach, carrots, onion, bell pepper and cooking wine inside.  Stir well.  Add all of the remaining spices and ingredients.  Cover and let the chili simmer in slow cooker for about 8 to 10 hours.  (Or try cooking on high for 4 to 6 hours).  Stir and taste.  Add additional chili pepper if you like it spicier.  For me, this chili recipe was flavorful without being too spicy. 

Note: The longer you let soups and chilis sit, the better they taste.  Therefore, if you can, throw it all together first thing in the moring and let it sit all day long.

Serve chili hot or warm in heavy bowls.  Often we like to put our chili over Frito chips and add cheese on top. 

1 comment:

  1. sounds yummy! we are having a house full this weekend and I am in charge of chili, so I may incorporate a few of these things into my usual--that uses a cup of BEER, oh yeah, it's goood!

    anne

    ReplyDelete