Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Avocado Hummus Dip

As I was staring at a can of chick peas in my pantry, I decided to do something with it.  I remembered I also have several bags of avocado puree in my freezer too.  So I began to look up dip recipes using both ingredients and it sent me to my friend Anne over at Annie Bakes.  I changed up her recipe just a bit to make this delectable dip.  I'm planning to eat it all week long, using it to dip with chips and to spread over grilled squash wraps in a few days.  Mmmm, mmmmm, mmmmm!  This is a great, healthy summer dip recipe!




Avocado Hummus Dip

(Makes about two cups)
Adapted from my pal Annie Bakes

1 can of chickpeans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup of avocado, pureed (or use 1 to 2 freshly sliced avocado)
1/3 cup of lemon juice
1 Tbsp. garlic powder (or use about 4 minced garlic pieces)
1 tsp your choice of seasoning (I used a sun-dried tomato basil blend)
1/4 cup of water
1 Tbsp. olive oil (use more if you like)
1 Tbsp. parmesan cheese, grated


Place all ingredients except for the olive oil in a food processor or blender.  Pulse until smooth. 

Now add in the olive oil and stir well.  If you like more, then use it.  But I found that just one tablespoon was enough for me, especially since I used pureed, previously frozen avocado.

Garnish with a bit of paprika if you like.  Serve with baked chips, crackers or pita bread.  Delicious and good for you!

Next I will have to use chickpeas to try a flour-less cake recipe that my buddy Lara at Recipe Shoebox told me about.  Doesn't this dessert of hers look yummy?!  :-)

Fact: I never tried guacamole or ate avocados until I was in my mid-twenties.  Now I crave the stuff! 

Did you know you could puree and freeze avocados for later use?  Check out my blog post about doing that - click here!

3 comments:

  1. I would have never thought to put these two ingredients together! Isn't it amazing what you can find when you search?

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh wow, super yummy--love how you changed up my recipe, that's the best part of cooking and sharing recipes--making them yours! good job my friend, anne

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love hummus and I love avocados, so this definitely looks like a great one to try! Thanks for the shout-out on the flourless cake. I can't wait to hear how you like it! :)

    ReplyDelete