Monday, January 10, 2011

Ham-Turkey Loaf, Sesame Green Beans and Whole Wheat Dinner Muffins

It's rare that I will make an entire meal from scratch, especially a fancy-schmancy meal.  But I was feeling generous last Thursday.  I had taken Tuesday and Wednesday off from cooking (on Tuesday we had leftovers and on Wednesday we had dinner out with friends). So by the end of the week, I felt like putting in the extra effort to make a great meal.  I made a ham-turkey loaf, sesame green beans and whole wheat dinner muffins.  Here is what it looked like:





Oh yeah, it was yummy!  


I adapted a ham loaf recipe and snuck in two different veggies in the ham-turkey loaf.  Then I decided to try a twist on green beens, using some sesame oil I had on hand in the pantry.  At the last minute, I decided to make dinner rolls too but I did so in the form of muffins.  They all turned out great!


The best part of putting in the extra time and love in cooking is when it comes out tasting so fabulously like it did for us.  Also, when your three year old eats the meal and says she likes your green beans, then it just doesn't get any sweeter than that! 


So here you go - three recipes in one post for you today!  Aren't you lucky and special?  Enjoy them separately or all together like we did!








Ham-Turkey Loaf
(Serves 8)

Adapted from here and also from Jessica Seinfeld's Turkey Meatloaf in her "Double Delicious" cookbook

For the meatloaf:

1 pound lean ground turkey
1 pound of ground ham (I used leftover holiday ham and grinded it up in my food processor)
1/2 cup bread crumbs
2 egg whites (or 1 egg)
1/2 cup of carrot puree
1/2 cup of cauliflower puree
1/4 cup of reduced fat milk
1/2 tbsp soy sauce
1/2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar (or regular vinegar)
1/2 tbsp onion powder
1/2 tbsp garlic powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
dash of Cajun seasoning

For the sauce:

1/3 cup of brown sugar
1/3 cup of ketchup
1/8 cup of honey mustard
1/8 cup of apple cider vinegar (or regular vinegar)


(Note: This one takes almost two hours of baking time so just be aware of that when starting the prep work!)


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Generously grease a bread loaf pan or 1 liter ceramic loaf pan with cooking spray.  In a large bowl, mix all the ingredients for the meat loaf: ground turkey, ham, bread crumbs, egg whites, milk, carrot and cauliflower purees, sauces and all seasonings.  I like to blend it with my hands best.  Then shape the loaf into the greased pan. 


(Note: You'll notice that the cauliflower puree just blends right in and the carrot puree just gives it a touch of orange color.  The veggies actually make it a moister meatloaf!)



Bake in the oven, uncovered, for one hour.  Remove from oven and make the ingredients for the sauce. 


In a small bowl, mix the brown sugar, ketchup, honey mustard and vinegar.  Blend it well.  Then pour it and spread it over the meatloaf.  Place the meatloaf back in the oven.  Bake for another 45 minutes to an hour.  I did mine for another hour.  With the sauce and veggies on top, the meatloaf stayed moist and never dried out.  It was perfect! 


Remove from oven and let cool for about ten minutes.  Then slice and serve.  Enjoy.


------------------------------------------------------------------




Sesame Green Beans

(Serves 6 to 8)

1 can (14.5 oz) green beans, drained
1/4 cup of chicken or vegetable broth
1/8 cup of water
1 tsp sesame oil - You can find this in the Asian/Oriental aisle in your grocery store
1 tsp sesame seeds
salt and pepper to taste (optional)

Lightly grease a small sauce pan with cooking spray.  Place it on your stove with the heat on medium.  Drain your can of green beans and add it to the pan.  Pour in the chicken broth, water, sesame oil and sesame seeds.  Sautee on medium heat for about fifteen minutes, stirring occasionally.  Taste.  Add any salt and pepper if you like but I thought mine tasted great as is.  Serve as a side dish.  Feeds about 6 to 8 people.

I was amazed at how much my little girl liked these green beans.  I will definitely be making them over and over again!

---------------------------------------------------------------







Whole Wheat Dinner Muffins

(Makes 8 to 10 muffins or rolls)

1 cup of white wheat flour (I use the King Arthur brand)
1/2 cup of whole wheat pastry flour
1 cup of light buttermilk
1/4 cup of light butter, broken up into small pieces
1/4 cup of agave nectar (or honey)
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cream of tarter


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Generously grease a muffin tin pan with cooking spray.  In a large bowl, sift your flour, salt and pieces of butter.  Add in the beaten egg, agave nectar, buttermilk and cream of tarter.  Blend well with a large wooden spoon.  Drop by spoonfuls into the muffin tins, filling them at least 3/4 full.  Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown on top.  Remove from the oven and let them cool for about seven minutes before serving. 


These taste just like dinner rolls but are in the form of muffins!  Enjoy them!


What's the last complete meal you made or put together that you were proud of?  Share a positive cooking story here to start our week off right!

3 comments:

  1. Shout out (almost) from Lancaster County! :) That looks pretty good. I'm not the greatest at doing side dishes either, I usually just make a main dish and maybe have some bread or something. I made Turkey Apricot Meatloaf last night and we had it with corn and salad - not that I made the last 2, but it was "complete." :) Thanks for sharing...as always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Jess - Hahaha! I didn't think about that county being where you lived, cool! I hear ya on not doing side dishes. I am normally the same way -- that's why I puree and sneak in veggies for most of my foods, so I don't have to do side dishes. I usually do a side salad and bread too. But these green beans were very easy so I'd make them again. And even though the words "ham loaf" may not sound very good, TRUST ME, they were very tasty and the sauce was tangy and sweet! Yum-mee! :-) Thanks for sharing your good food story. Send me that recipe, I may try it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. way to go girl! you made a great meal here, remember where you were last year at this time?!? anne

    ReplyDelete