Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Corn Bread "Cake"

My husband has to have bread with every meal we eat.  I have been making my own corn bread for awhile now.  Until a few years ago, I never realized how easy it was to throw this quick-bread together.   Blending the ingredients, plus the baking time, requires less than a half-hour.  So it's a perfect last-minute bread to accompany your dinner. 


Recently I varied up my typical corn bread recipe after reviewing a few different recipes in several of my cookbooks.  The end result was very good.  My husband Kirk dubbed it as "corn bread cake" because he thought it was so moist and had a cake-like consistency.    So that's what I titled it here for this post.  I know he'll be requesting for me to make this one again.  Here is the recipe:







Corn bread cake

(Makes 15 squares)

1 and 1/4 cup of natural flour (I used white wheat flour by King Arthur)
1 and 1/4 cup of corn meal
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
4 tbsp light butter, broken up into pieces
1 egg, beaten
1 can (15 oz) of corn, drained
1/4 cup of reduced fat shredded cheese, any variety
1/8 cup of water


Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.  Generously grease an 8x8 square baking pan or use a small rectangular  (11x7 or 2.2 qt/2 L) pan, like I did, with cooking spray.  In a large bowl, sift the first four ingredients together: flour, corn meal, baking powder and baking soda.  Blend well.  Add the light butter that has been broken up into pieces.  Mix it in so the butter can be absorbed into the crumbs.  Toss in the beaten egg, drained corn, cheese and water.  Stir well with a wooden spoon.  Pour into the greased baking dish, like this: 






Bake for 25 to 30 minutes.   Remove from oven and let it cool for about five minutes before slicing.  Cut into squares.  Eat it up!






Here are some of my past recipes that you might enjoy serving this corn bread cake with:

- Mix it up Meat and Veggie Chili

- Mexican Tortilla Lasagna

- Fiesta Style Sheperd's Pie

- Big Easy Chicken and Sausage Gumbo

- Shrimp and Grits


Enjoy! 

3 comments:

  1. Looks great, but I still don't know what the measurements of a 2.2qt dish are :) 11x7? Do you wash your sifter? I have the kind w/ the handle that you squeeze. One time I rinsed it after having flour in it and discovered that was the WRONG thing to do...

    ReplyDelete
  2. we have to have bread with meals, too--dang carbs! will give this a whirl, anne

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Jess - Yes the 2.2 quart pan is the 11x7 size. It's just your basic small rectangular pan. But you can also bake this recipe in a square 8x8 pan too! :-)

    ReplyDelete