Friday, January 28, 2011

Orange-Oriental Sauce (For Chicken, Pork, Rice and More)!

I made this oriental-inspired sauce recently for my family and we all really enjoyed it.  The original recipe came from Lara at Recipe Shoebox in her Panda Express Orange Chicken.  I'm developing a virtual crush on Lara....  She has such great recipes and she cooks in a similar way that I do.  In fact, this is the second time this week that I'm adapting one of her recipes to share here.  Monday's Mexican Mac 'N' Cheese was inspired by her as well.

Anyhow, I took her recipe and made it more like a gravy than a thick covered sauce.  The flavor is amazing though.  We put it over our baked chicken nuggets and the leftover fried rice we had in the freezer from previous takeouts we enjoyed. 

You can find the original, great recipe here.  Or use this simple sauce typed below to pour over your chicken, pork chops and other meats or side dishes:





Orange-Oriental Sauce
(Makes about 2 cups of gravy)

Adapted from Recipe Shoebox

1/2 cup of brown sugar
2/3 cup of water
2/3 cup of white vinegar
1/3 cup of orange juice
1/4 cup of green onions
3 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
1 tsp sesame oil
1-2 tbsp cornstarch, to thicken - optional (Use this if you want a thicker sauce.  I did NOT use this since I wanted mine thinner, like a gravy)


In a medium size saucepan, combine all above ingredients except the cornstarch.  Cook over medium heat and simmer for about fifteen minutes.  Add the cornstarch if you want to thicken the sauce, adding one tablespoon at a time until your desired consistency. 


Pour the sauce over cooked chicken strips, baked popcorn chicken, skillet pork chops or whatever prepared meat you have on hand.  Or simply pour it over hot brown rice (We keep it simple and use baked chicken nuggets and takeout fried rice).  You could even use it as a dipping sauce, letting your kids dip their nuggets in the orange sauce instead of using ketchup or honey mustard. 

 




The possibilities are endless - You can have one giant orange-oriental party of foods!  Trust me, this is good stuff!  Thanks Lara! 

Do you have a favorite flavor sauce or gravy? 

I'll be back on Sunday to post my meal plan for the upcoming week.  Also, I'll be sharing lots of party foods in the coming days to help you prepare for upcoming football and sports gatherings!  Even though I'm not a sports fan, that doesn't mean I can't cook and party like one!  :-)

3 comments:

  1. yummy! can't wait to see your football foods!

    GO PACKERS GO!! anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. if only! :( i'm gonna have to do mind control on jam to make him like ginger/citrus sauces! heh - just noticed you didn't even put ginger in this one...maybe there's hope!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun and easy way to try this recipe. I love all your fun recipe tweaks. We're in the middle of our third snow day, so I'm very out of the loop with my emails. I'll try and write you this weekend!

    ReplyDelete