Monday, January 3, 2011

Skinny Crab Quiche

On New Year's Day, I opted to make the Skinny Crab Quiche from my meal plan that I hadn't gotten around to preparing in the days prior.  We love seafood and this looked like a simple dish that anyone could throw together.   It came out great!  My husband and I loved it.  This would be great for brunch or any gathering among friends.  Enjoy!






Skinny Crab Quiche
(Makes 8 pie slices)
Adapted from Taste of Home

1 can (6 oz) lump crabmeat, drained
2 cups of reduced fat shredded cheese
1/2 cup of pureed or finely chopped spinach
1/2 cup of green onions
1 and 1/2 egg substitute (egg whites or other)
1 can (12 oz) fat-free evaporated milk
1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese, divided in half
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic and parmesan seasoning blend
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt
dash of Cajun seasoning


Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Generously grease a 9 inch pie plate with cooking spray.  In a medium bowl, combine the drained lump crab meat, 1 and 1/2 cups of the cheese, spinach, green onions and half of the Parmesan cheese together.  Blend well.  Press mixture into the bottom and up the sides of the greased pie plate, making it like a crust. 




Sprinkle with salt and onion powder.  Top with remaining 1/2 cup of cheese.  In a separate bowl, mix the egg substitute, milk, remaining Parmesan cheese, garlic powder, garlic and parmesan seasoning blend and Cajun seasoning.  Gently pour the seasoned egg mixture over the crab meat crust in the pie plate. 

Bake for 25 to 30 minutes.  Test to see if quiche is done by inserting a knife to see if it comes out clean.  Even though your top may be brown, you don't want any liquid underneath.  Let the quiche stand for ten to fifteen minutes before cutting.  I cut mine into eight slices. 






Note:
You could also bake this in an 8x8 inch square baking pan and cut it into squares to feed more people. 

Do you like quiche?  What are some of your favorite brunch foods?

5 comments:

  1. I might be able to be persuaded to try this :) I made a really great overnight egg casserole for Christmas morning, I would make it for any special occasion!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! Sounds delicious. Do you get a good price on your crab being in Florida? It can be expensive here in North Georgia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i wish i could get lump crab meat in these parts cuz this sounds good! anne

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was lucky with the crab meat. I spotted a sale to buy one, get one free can at my local Publix grocery store. My area of Florida is abundant in seafood but it can be expensive. You just have to keep your eyes peeled for something like this in order to spot a deal! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not sure I can get Lump Crab Meat in my area either. I always see recipes calling for it but shy away from them - didn't know if I could used canned. I will have to look for it. After the holidays, I need anyting "Skinny" at this point!

    Susan www.ugogrrl.com

    ReplyDelete