Thursday, January 20, 2011
What Foods Are You Afraid Of?
My travel blogger buddy and friend Jen wrote an uplifting post about 33 things she wishes to do before she turns 33 years old. One of the items on her list, #10, is to try five new foods that she's been scared to eat in the past.
What a great idea, I thought to myself when she revealed that notion. I want to be braver with foods as well. After all, I'm now a food blogger and a cookbook author. Crazy I know, I can still hardly believe it myself!
On my "Learn, Laugh, Cook" facebook page earlier this week, I posed the questions, "What foods are you afraid of? What foods creep you out?" I was seeking other suggestions that my friends, readers and others have been afraid to eat. The responses were funny -- ranging from cool-whip to barbecue flavor, from beets to stinky cheeses....then the conversation drifted off into animal organs, such as liver, brain, intestines and more.
Yikes, I had not even considered animal parts like feet or heart to be on my dinner plate! And I don't think I will start adding them now either!! No, I was thinking more about foods that I've had texture issues with in the past. In addition, I've been afraid of certain foods that are very hot and spicy. Or foods that smelled or just seemed weird in some way to me.
So here is my list. This is my public list of foods that I've been afraid to try....until NOW (gulp loudly). I'm going to (hopefully) eat at least one bite (maybe two?) of all the below foods listed here at some point in 2011:
1. French foods - things like escargot and caviar - bugs for dinner anyone?
2. Tofu - I used to shy away from this but I no longer feel worried over it. In fact, I will be trying this out soon and want to cook with it in my attempts to eat more vegetarian meals!
3. Havenero pepper - the hot stuff! I saw Sandra Bullock do it on The Ellen show so I figure, why not me?
4. Raw oysters - too slimy for me in the past! My in-laws love them so I should try them.
5. Liver - just to gross out my facebook readers! :-) I think I had this once or twice as a kid.
6. Pickles - I have never liked them but I think I should give them a try again. I do like cucumbers though. Should I try a sweet and a dill? Do you have a favorite kind?
7. Anchovies - I don't know why this one bothers me so much. I love sushi after all. But I haven't been able to eat them on a pizza so I hope to try it at some point this year.
Whew, that's enough for now! I'm getting pale and sick to my stomach just reviewing the above food items. This is an ambitious task. I hope I can accomplish it all. My plan is to document the experience and take photos of me eating the foods too. Don't worry I won't share any vomitting experiences I may have, just the me trying it part. Wish me luck!
What foods are you afraid of? What item has been on your "do not eat" list? Would you consider taking on a challenge like this or am I just plain crazy??? Leave them in the comments!
Oh and just because I like you all so much:
Check out this $25 Starbucks gift card giveaway by my foodie friend Anne! Stop by her place and wish her a happy birthday!