Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Light Lemon Cake

I love lemons, lemon-flavors foods and especially lemon-tasting desserts.   (Does anyone NOT enjoy dessert?)  Lemons are low calorie but offer a healthier yet sweet end result that many of us long for daily.   I know I do. 


This is a wonderful, light cake recipe.  It appealed to me because it was gluten-free, vegan-friendly and it just plain sounded delicious.  I'm so glad I discovered it while doing my usual weekly searches for new and healthy snacks and meals.  My husband and my mother-in-law really liked one.  I will definitely make it again! 






Light Lemon Cake
(Makes 12-16 squares)

Adapted from Welcoming Kitchen


1 and 1/2 cups of oat flour, gluten-free
2 tsps of baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup of applesauce
1 cup of sugar, vegan-friendly
The juice of three lemons (between 1/3 and 1/2 cup of juice)
Zest of three lemons (about 3-4 tbsp)
1/2 cup of coconut milk yogurt, plain
1/2 cup of coconut oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar, gluten-free


Purchasing Note:
I was able to easily find all these ingredients in my regular grocery store, in the organic and health foods section. 



Cook's Note: I am NOT a fan of coconut flavor so I was a little nervous cooking with the coconut products listed above.  However, it had NO coconut taste at all so I was pleased! 


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Generously grease an 8x8 inch baking pan with cooking spray.  In a medium bowl, mix the oat flour, baking powder and salt together.  In a separate, larger bowl, combine the applesauce, sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest, coconut milk yogurt, coconut oil and vanilla extract. Stir and mix well.  Add the dry, flour ingredients to the wet ingredients.  Combine until blended and no dry spots are found.  Put in the apple cider vinegar and stir.  Pour batter into the greased baking pan.  Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until lightly brown and a knife can be inserted into cake and comes out clean.  Let the cake cool for about fifteen minutes before cutting.  I sliced mine into 12 squares. 


If you don't have gluten or vegetarian concerns, then you can simply use regular flour, oil and yogurt in the above recipe.  It should not alter the taste or the consistency of the cake. 


I'm sorry that I only took one photo of the cake.  I was distracted by the great smell coming from my oven.  The above picture really doesn't capture how wonderful-tasting it is either.  Try it.  You won't regret it. 


Are you a fan of lemons and lemon-flavored foods and desserts?  What is the last  teriffic lemon tasting meal or snack that you made? 

2 comments:

  1. Super surprised that it didn't have any coconut flavor, but good to know! So coconut milk yogurt is not coconut flavor, just made w/ coconut milk?? They didn't have the gluten at my grocery store - will have to look at a different one w/ a bigger organic section...

    ReplyDelete
  2. try using Stevia a natural sugar substitute that is no calorie and all natural, i just got the product to review and i am liking it--watch for a review next month!

    ReplyDelete