Sunday, January 2, 2011

What's Cookin' This Week (Jan 3 - 9, 2011)?




I'm still getting used to writing 2011.  Are you?  Thankfully, I'm used to making meal plans though.  I've been doing them for just over a year now.  They really help me stay on track with my healthy eating habits.  Plus they assist me in what to buy at the grocery store.  Or I just let my pantry and freezer guide me in preparing recipes for the week. 

For instance, I still have leftover holiday ham.  Therefore I looked for a new recipe to make with ham, which will be Thursday's Ham Loaf.   Also, we ate out Chinese food over the weekend.  We have leftover fried rice.  Therefore, I'm going to combine that fried rice with a new Orange Chicken recipe I've been eyeing for awhile now.  

I stated in my New Year's Resolutions that I want to cook and eat more vegan recipes and more Cajun/New Orleans dishes as well.  So I'm incorporating both of those notions into this week's meal plan as well with a Shrimp Creole and a vegan enchilada meal.  These are some examples of how I come up with my meal plan, letting my kitchen and my heart guide me! 

Now, here is that entire meal plan for the upcoming week:

Monday, Jan. 3 - Mexican Tortilla Lasagna.  Side of beans.  
Note: The recipe for this is in my head. I know how I want to make it and I will share the end result at the end of this week!

Tuesday, Jan. 4 - My day to grocery shop.  Eat leftovers from Monday or the weekend's barbecue

Wednesday, Jan. 5 - Orange Chicken, fried rice from freezer

Thursday, Jan. 6 - Ham Loaf, green beans
Note: I'm going to look for ways to adapt this recipe and sneak veggies in the ham loaf - probably carrots and spinach!  

Friday, Jan. 7 - Barbecue Chicken and Ranch Pizza, recipe is from my cookbook.

Saturday, Jan. 8 - Shrimp Creole, recipe is from my Louisiana Cajun cookbook, Corn Bread, Side salad

Sunday, Jan. 9 - Vegan Sweet Potato and Black Bean Enchiladas and leftover corn bread


Here are the snacks and desserts I hope to try making this week:

No-Bake Granola Bars

Lovely Lemon Snack Cake  - this one is vegan-friendly and gluten-free!

Fruit Leather (Roll ups) - this is a kid-friendly snack! 


What's on your meal plan this week?  I've got some great things in store for you in the coming days: a new segment called "Learn With Me," some great recipes and my most hideous, hilarious bread to date!  (That's right - my bread maker strikes back!) 

Come back for the laughs and the education on what to do and what NOT to do in the kitchen!  ;-)

5 comments:

  1. That lemon snack cake sounds great. We've been burning a lemon cake candle at night and it smells so real its giving me a craving for a lemony snack

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm intrigued by the sweet potato and black bean enchiladas! What are your thoughts on either adding butternut squash or substituting BN squash for the sweet potatoes??

    I'm currently meal planning for the week and may have to try this! I can't wait to see the post about your NYE pizza :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought you were mastering the bread maker!? :) The Orange Chicken looks great - I'm adding it to the plan! Other things I have for this week are Salsa Beef Chili, Clam Chowder and Turkey Apricot Chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Kitchen With Kate - I think Butternut squash would be fine in exchange for the sweet potatoes. I see a lot of recipes use the two vegetables interchangably. Let me know how your version turns out! Also, I didn't take photos of that pizza flop so we'll just keep that as our little secret! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you enjoy the orange chicken. My kids beg me to make it for them. Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete